- Audition for the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra
- Meet the RYJO's Directors
- Find Upcoming RYJO Performances
- Look at Photos; Watch some Videos
- Support the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra
- Contact the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra
The RYJO Mission
The Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra (RYJO) was established in 2006. Our mission is to assemble, by audition, the top middle and high school jazz talent in the Reno-Sparks-Carson-Tahoe communities in order to provide opportunities for the performance, preservation, appreciation, and study of jazz.
The RYJO Vision
Begun in 2006, the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra was created to assemble a youth jazz band of highly motivated Middle School and High School Students from the Reno/Sparks and surrounding areas. The experience will prepare and aid students in attaining college scholarship opportunities.
In 2011-2012, the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra's vision was to begin a second band to allow younger and/or less experienced student musicians the opportunity to learn the core basics of jazz music. In addition, we created opportunities for the musicians to perform in public.
The 2017-2018 RYJO season saw our vision broaden with the addition of the RYJO Combo. This is a small group of RYJO I's top players. Through the RYJO Combo, students can play in small group settings throughout the community. The Combo is optional and will be added at the discretion of the RYJO Directors.
Our organization aims to present positive images of young jazz musicians to the community by taking a considered and professional approach to artistic content and overall presentation.
Our goal is to perform newly composed arrangements, as well as standard jazz literature, for ensembles and big bands in live performance venues. We also look for opportunities outside of the Reno/Tahoe area in national and international performance forums and competitions.
The RYJO Challenge
Challenge yourself! If you are a young musician with a passion for jazz music, or one who is simply interested in learning more about jazz, or if you are a parent of a young musician, we encourage you to audition.
The Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra plays an important role in the cultural life of our local community. It provides a healthy platform for young musicians to showcase their talents and to share their love of jazz music with others.
Maximize the Benefits!
- Musical Development: the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra provides a challenging and supportive environment for young musicians to develop their skills. Members have the opportunity to learn from experienced musicians and educators, and to perform in a variety of settings.
- Jazz Improvisation: Jazz is a genre of music that is all about improvisation, and the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra is a great place for young musicians to learn and develop this skill. Improvisation can help musicians to develop their creativity, self-confidence, and even problem-solving skills in other areas of life and development.
- Ensemble Experience: the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra teaches young musicians the importance of ensemble playing. Members learn how to listen to each other, support each other, and work together to create great music. Ensemble playing can even help musicians to develop their social skills and teamwork abilities.
- Performance Opportunities: the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra performs regularly in our local community, giving members the opportunity to share their music with others and to gain experience performing in front of a live audience. These performance opportunities can help musicians to develop their stage presence and confidence.
- Personal Development: the Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra can also help young musicians to develop personally. Members learn the importance of discipline, hard work, and dedication. They also have the opportunity to make new friends and to learn about different cultures and musical traditions.
Fees for Membership
- Audition Fee - $10.00 (due the day of the audition)
- NOTE: If accepted into the Orchestra, the membership fee for each RYJO season is $400.00. This includes two shirts and a tie for the RYJO uniform. This fee is not due at audition time. If you are accepted into the Orchestra, you may be eligible for a payment plan or scholarship.